Sheriff Sarah

Sheriff Sarah

Friday, November 19, 2010

A Writing Break: Mission #1 Accomplished - The First Draft

I did it. I really did it. I wrote a book, 80,000 words of it. I still can't believe I'm saying that. I wrote a book. Wow. It's not that I am so amazing - "Wow, that Kirk Kraft guy is pretty awesome - it's that after struggling for many years to find a rhythm in my writing life, it happened.

Since the beginning of October I've written over 44,000 words. Writing has finally become a daily habit like shaving or eating. I'm thankful God has allowed me to be more productive than at any point in my life. It's not just the novel but my other writing as well.

It's true I haven't sold ANYTHING yet, and I might never do so. I'm not looking for fortune or fame. My goal is three-fold: to glorify God by using the talents He has given me; bringing a little joy to people's lives; and, writing the stories I need to tell.

If only a select group of friends, family and other writers read my work, I would be good with that. Do I desire to make at least a little money in this venture? Sure. I'd be lying if I told you otherwise but I'm also realistic about the publishing industry.

While I'm excited to finish the book (did I already mention I'm stoked?), I realize most first draft are, well, crap! As many good writers will tell you, the first draft is the easy part. Then you need to let your 'baby' sit awhile. THEN, comes the difficult part: tearing that puppy apart. Looking on the story with a critical eye and change the things that don't work. Some writers completely rewrite their novel, the entire thing.

I wanted to take a break in the midst of our craziness with Sarah to tell you that even in the darkest times, there are splinters of light shining through. My writing has been one of those things for me.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Terrific, Kirk. Yes, a little light shines through the threats of darkness. If only I read fantasy, I'd read it in a heartbeat. I knew you'd get it done. Now you have time to let it sit and get back to it before Mt. Hermon. YAY!

    ReplyDelete