Sheriff Sarah

Sheriff Sarah

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Walking along the Write Path

Some of you may be interested in following the progress of the first draft of my novel. I'm closing in on my 80,000 words and will call it finished at that time. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't cut many words, add many more, or do a painful rewrite at some point.

I've written over 28,000 words since the beginning of October which has somewhat shocked and certainly delighted me. Writing has truly become a habit for me, which was the goal all along. The trick is to maintain this pace and progress; to become a better writer; to ultimately create something people want to read and which speaks to their life or offers food for thought. Something that takes them away from the real world for a moment but which also connects them deeper with that same world.

I'm fully aware that many first novels die a brutal death and end up residing in a drawer, a trunk or a closet somewhere. A good experience, no doubt, but something that simply is not publishable. At the same time, I'm confident that some day a book with my name on it will reside on the shelf of a bookstore. It's not because I desire to be famous or need any validation as a writer. I feel God has called me to write and I will do it to the best of my ability. If all that ever sees the light of day is this blog or the stories I share with family and friends, it will have been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment