Sheriff Sarah

Sheriff Sarah

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Opposite of Sunny News

You know, I'm not normally a pessimist. Yesterday, in fact, things were very rosy as we learned Sarah wouldn't have to visit Seattle Children's for a month. Alas, I should have known something was up. Our ride has rarely been that smooth since her transplant in late April 2009.

So...Patty calls awhile ago and informs me that Sarah's EBV is up over 8000, her highest level ever. There is no immediate need to panic. The transplant team advised a reduction in her tacrolimus - the primary anti-rejection med - and for us to keep an eye on flu-like symptoms. You know, too much sleeping, different kind of stool, runny nose, etc.

If she doesn't show any signs, then the reduced tac dosage should be sufficient to hold out for two weeks - when we would have to get labs again. If she does show signs, then obviously we would...oh, I just can't say it...go into Children's for a brief stay. You can be praying that does NOT happen, and that all goes well for these two weeks. You can also pray for my sanity...and that the darned pessimistic thoughts don't pop up again.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Some Sunny News for June!

Hi gang,

I just learned that Sarah's labs were so great that she won't need any labs or any clinic visits for an ENTIRE MONTH. I know this may not seem like a huge deal to some people but bear in mind for the vast majority of Sarah's post-transplant life, we have had to visit Children's weekly for blood work and twice a month for clinics. Dr. Horslin wants to keep her on the prednisone for two more weeks and then slowly wean her off of it the following two weeks leading up to the clinic visit next month.

Sarah is also becoming a little chunk. She weighs about 30 pounds but motors around so much that even with the prednisone increasing her appetite she didn't put on any weight between visits.

Praise God for His faithfulness and this much needed respite. It will really seem like a VACATION. We definitely will need to celebrate. I'm thinking maybe a visit to the Olympic Coast is in order. We just need to continue praying there are no hiccups once she is weaned off the prednisone.