Sheriff Sarah

Sheriff Sarah

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Embarking on a New (Job) Journey

My recent foray into the job market, brought out of necessity by a layoff, can best be described as feast or famine. Early on things seemed promising and I flattered myself into believing I'd easily land a new position prior to my mid-July layoff date or shortly thereafter. I had some interviews in March, April and May and then three in one week in July but no offers. I joined a career group and rode the wave with some other career seekers and last week signed an offer letter with Panasonic Avionics. I started the new job yesterday.

But the road was not easy and confounded me at times. I did everything I knew to do regarding networking, LinkedIn, and trying to engage people at companies of interest. Things heated up late last month when I received calls for three interviews, all with local aerospace companies. I received an offer from the first one and was ecstatic. Then I received another offer. Honestly, I'd never been so popular in all my job seeking days. I believe the position I accepted is with the right company, for the right job at the right time and I'm grateful and blessed. I'd prayed for a position to come before the holidays. I could bore you with my insights into the lessons of patience, perseverance and warding off frustration but suffice it to say the experience was well worth it.

I was able to spend untold hours with my kids, including attending one field trip with all of our school age children. I was able to get them ready for school and drive them to & from school each day. I was able to spend most of the summer with them. Precious time not to be overlooked. I'll remember this time fondly and the fact I was looking for a job will always be secondary to the memories created with my family.

But now it's time to get back to work.

1 comment:

  1. Finding a job is a tough work but still many people are so lucky that they finds good jobs in very less time. Thanks for sharing your experience with peoples here and people looking for a job might get some inspiration from here.

    ReplyDelete