For those of you not on Facebook, here is the latest:
We met with Dr. Inglis in Otolaryngology yesterday – that’s the ENT dept for those of you not current on your medical lingo! – and they have decided to remove Sarah’s adenoids. The surgery is a 15 minute procedure and is scheduled for Monday at 10:15am. Thankfully we were able to meet with Dr. Inglis on short notice AND get the surgery scheduled. The short of it is that the adenoids can change post-transplant and the EBV (Epstein Barr virus) that Sarah has been fighting can make them swell. This could account for her breathing issues the past few weeks. The reason they would just remove them is that the EBV can also lead to lymphoma if not dealt with expeditiously or if EBV numbers are high. Sarah’s EBV has not been real high but has been going up and down for several weeks.
If you could be praying for successful surgery and that Sarah would not be in too much discomfort as she recovers. The docs say she will have a sore throat for a couple of days and while she will be at Children’s at least until Tuesday, she should be fine otherwise. Please also pray she doesn’t get too frustrated if she has to remain in a hospital bed. Hopefully we will be able to “take her out” to at least walk around the hospital.
I will try to update the blog more often so if you aren’t already following us there, please do. As always, I will also try to send out regular emails and post to Facebook as well.
Thanks for continuing to stand with us as we travel the post-liver transplant highway.
Kirk and Patty